1991: Networks, open access, and virtual libraries : implications for the research library
28th Clinic on Library Applications of Data Processing (1991). Edited by Brett Sutton and Charles H. Davis.
An extended process of adaptation is taking place as libraries, along with many other kinds of organizations, come to terms with their future roles in the networked communications environment that, increasingly, they all share. It is a process of considerable complexity and extended duration and is not likely to be quickly resolved. This collection of essays is presented as a contribution to that part of the process relevant to research library services, an effort that has also produced, in recent months, several national conferences, a handful of new serial publications, numerous local workshops and training sessions, and many instances of experimentation, testing, and evaluation.
The complete text of the proceedings is available here as well as the individual papers. The papers included here are:
- Introduction - Brett Sutton
- Networked Information: A Revolution in Progress - Clifford A. Lynch
- Networked Information Resources and Services: Next Steps on the Road to the Distributed Digital Libraries of the Twenty-first Century - Paul Evan Peters
- Defining "IT": NREN's Opportunities for Librarians - Susan K. Martin
- Keeping the Window of Opportunity Open for the Private Sector - James E. Rush
- The Use and Effect of Multimedia Digital Libraries in a National Network - Charles E. Catlett and Jeffrey A. Terstriep
- Networking Applications for Research Libraries - M. E. L. Jacob
- The Changing Economics of Research Libraries - Martin Runkle
- The Real Costs and Financial Challenges of Library Networking: Part 1 - Kenneth R. R. Gros Louis
- The Real Costs and Financial Challenges of Library Networking: Part 2 - Thomas W. Shaughnessy
- The Real Costs and Financial Challenges of Library Networking: Part 3 - William J. Studer
- DRANET: An Information Network - Carl R. Grant
- Libraries and Networked Information Systems: Selected Bibliography - Brett Sutton
The Proceedings of the Clinic on Library Applications of Data Processing have been digitized through the Open Content Alliance at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
(Graduate School of Library and Information Science. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign., 1991)This bibliography is intended to suggest background reading on the origins and emerging uses of electronic networks by libraries and higher education. It is not the purpose of this list to provide an exhaustive or ...
(Graduate School of Library and Information Science. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign., 1991)Data Research, a library automation firm, is also a database provider and the implementors and administrators of a nationwide library network called DRANET. Mounted on this network are the Library of Congress machine-readable ...
(Graduate School of Library and Information Science. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign., 1991)The development of electronic networks is seen by some as a way to lower the high costs associated with collecting, maintaining, and storing traditional print-based library material. In reality, at least for the near future, ...
The development of the virtual electronic library and the resulting shift in emphasis from ownership to access raise questions about the responsibility for local collection development. However, access depends on ...
Library networking has created a number of administrative and policy issues. Questions of governance, budgeting, cooperation, and reporting lines must be addressed. In some cases, these issues must be addressed by ...