1996: Digital Image Access & Retrieval
33th Clinic on Library Applications of Data Processing (1996). Edited by P. Bryan Heidorn and Beth Sandore.
The 33th Annual Clinic on Library Applications of Data Processing, held at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in March of 1996, addressed the theme of "Digital Image Access & Retrieval." The papers from this conference cover a wide range of topics concerning digital imaging technology for visual resource collections. Papers covered three general areas: (1) systems, planning, and implementation; (2) automatic and semi-automatic indexing; and (3) preservation with the bulk of the conference focusing on indexing and retrieval.
The complete full text of the proceedings is available here as well as the individual papers. The papers are:
- Image Databases: The First Decade, the Present, and the Future - Howard Besser
- Exploring New Models for Administering Intellectual Property: The Museum Educational Site Licensing Project - Jennifer Trant
- The Big Picture: Selection and Design Issues for Image Information Systems - Lois F. Lunin
- Content-Based Image Modeling and Retrieval - Rajiv Mehrotra
- Visual Information Retrieval in Digital Libraries - Ramesh Jain
- Efficient Techniques for Feature-Based Image/Video Access and Manipulation - Shih-Fu Chang, John R. Smith, and Jianhao Meng
- Multimedia Analysis and Retrieval System (MARS) Project - Tom Huang, Sharad Mehrotra, and Kannan Ramchandran
- Finding Pictures of Objects in Large Collections of Images - David A. Forsyth, Jitendra Malik, Thomas K. Leung, Chris Bregler, C. Carson, H. Greenspan, and Margaret M. Fleck
- Using Speech Input for Image Interpretation, Annotation, and Retrieval - Rohini K. Srihari
- Digital Imaging: Issues for Preservation and Access - Meg Bellinger
- Preserving the Past: The Development of a Digital Historical Aerial Photography Archive - Donald E. Luman
The Proceedings of the Clinic on Library Applications of Data Processing have been digitized through the Scholarly Commons at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
(Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997)The 33th Annual Clinic on Library Applications of Data Processing, held at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in March of 1996, addressed the theme of "Digital Image Access & Retrieval." The papers from this ...
(Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997)The University of Illinois Map and Geography Library maintains a collection of approximately 60,000 individual prints of historical aerial photography that were acquired during the years 1936-1941, for which there are no ...
(Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997)This discussion outlines some of the issues that must be considered before digital imaging of paper-based research material should be adopted as a preservation method. In addition, the quality of the digital image in terms ...
"This research explores the interaction of textual and photographic information in an integrated text/image database environment. Specifically, three different applications involving the exploitation of linguistic con-text ...
"Retrieving images from very large collections using image content as a key is becoming an important problem. Users prefer to ask for pictures using notions of content that are strongly oriented to the presence of objects, ...