Files in this item

FilesDescriptionFormat

application/pdf

application/pdfKelly_Bland.pdf (329kB)
(no description provided)PDF

Description

Title:Evaluation of feeding different sources and levels of distillers dried grains with solubles (DDGS) with corn and soybean hulls in non-feed-withdrawal molt programs for laying hens
Author(s):Bland, Kelly
Advisor(s):Parsons, Carl M.
Department / Program:Animal Sciences
Discipline:Animal Sciences
Degree Granting Institution:University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Degree:M.S.
Genre:Thesis
Subject(s):distillers dried grains with solubles
molting
laying hens
Abstract:Two studies were conducted to evaluate if laying hens can be successfully molted by ad libitum feeding various levels and sources of DDGS. In the first study, three sources of DDGS varied greatly in color. Treatment 1 consisted of a 47% corn (C):47% soy hulls (SH) molt diet (C:SH) fed for 28 d (positive control). Treatments 2, 3 and 4 were molt diets containing 94% DDGS from the three sources fed for 28 d. Treatments 5, 6 and 7 were 32% C: 42% SH: 20% DDGS, also fed for 28 d. At the end of the 28 d molt period, all hens were fed a 16% CP corn- soybean meal layer diet. Body weight (BW) loss during the molt period was significantly greater (P<0.05) for hens fed the C:SH diet (26%) than hens fed the diets containing DDGS. The BW loss was also greater for hens fed the C:SH:DDGS diets (12%) than for the hens fed the 94% DDGS diets (2%) and the reduction in BW loss varied among DDGS sources. Feed consumption was lower for hens fed the C:SH control diet compared to hens fed the DDGS diets. Hens fed the C:SH diet had egg production near 0% during the last three weeks of the molt period. Hens on the other treatments did not have egg production below 8-10% during the molt period, and the reduction in egg production varied among DDGS sources. The darkest brown DDGS resulted in the greatest reduction in egg production. Post-molt hen-day egg production (5-40 wks) did not significantly differ among treatments; however, egg mass and egg specific gravity were generally reduced for hens fed the 94% DDGS molt diets compared to hens fed the CSH diet. This study showed that molt and post-molt performance responses varied among DDGS sources; however, none of the molt diets containing 20-94% DDGS yielded satisfactory reductions in BW or egg production when compared to a 47% corn: 47% soy hulls diet. In the second study, 504 Hy-Line W-36 hens (68 wk of age) were randomly assigned to one of six treatments. The molt diet treatments consisted of a 47% corn (C):47% soy hulls (SH) diet, a 30% C: 44% SH: 20% DDGS diet, a 25% C: 49% SH: 20% DDGS diet, a 20% C: 54% SH: 20% DDGS diet, a 10% C: 37% SH: 47% DDGS diet, and a 47% SH: 47% DDGS diet. All molt diets were fed for 28d. At the end of this molt period, all hens were fed a 16% CP corn- soybean meal layer diet. Body weight (BW) loss (17%) during the molt period was greatest (P<0.05) for hens fed the 47% C: 47% SH diet. Feed consumption during the molt period was lower (P<0.05) for hens fed the 47% C: 47% SH control diet than for hens fed the diets containing DDGS. Hens fed the 47% C: 47% SH diet had the lowest (P<0.05) egg production (below 5%) during the last three weeks of the molt period. Hens on the other treatments did not have mean egg production below 23% for the molt period. During the first 8 wk of the post-molt period, egg production of hens that were fed the 47% C: 47% SH diet during the molt period was generally lower than that of hens fed the other molt diets. Egg specific gravity, egg mass, and egg weight measured for Weeks 4 to 8 of the post-molt period did not differ significantly (P>0.05) among treatments. This study showed that the molt diets containing 20 to 47% DDGS yielded inferior body weight, egg production, and feed consumption molt responses when compared to a 47% C: 47% SH diet even though most of the diets containing DDGS were calculated to contain MEn levels that were lower than the 47% C: 47% SH diet. Overall, none of the molt diets containing 20- 94% DDGS resulted in satisfactory reductions in body weight or egg production when compared to a 47% C: 47% SH diet even though most of the diets containing DDGS were formulated to contain less MEn than the 47% C: 47% SH diet. These results suggest that dietary components other than energy, such as protein and digestible amino acid levels, are important when feeding molt diets containing DDGS.
Issue Date:2013-02-03
URI:http://hdl.handle.net/2142/42252
Rights Information:Copyright 2012 Kelly Bland
Date Available in IDEALS:2013-02-03
Date Deposited:2012-12


This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Item Statistics