1962: Selection and acquisition procedures in medium-sized and large libraries
Allerton Park Institute Proceedings (No.9, 1962); Edited by Herbert Goldhor
These are the papers which were given at the ninth annual Institute sponsored by the Faculty of the University of Illinois Graduate School of Library Science and held from Sunday, November 11, to Wednesday, November 14, 1962, at Allerton Park. The theme of the Institute was "Selection and Acquisition Procedures in Medium -Sized and Large Libraries."
The complete text of the Institute is available here as well as the individual papers. The papers included here are:
- The Implementation Of Book Selection Policy In University And Research Libraries - Robert B. Downs
- The Mechanics Of Book Selection - Jack Chitwood
- The Mechanics Of Book Ordering - Harold Sander
- Blanket Book Ordering - Lewis C. Coffin
- Cooperative Book Selection And Book Ordering - Henry T. Drennan
- The Selection, Ordering, And Handling Of Serials - Robert W. Orr
- Selection And Acquisition Of Foreign Publications - Helen M. Welch
- Research Reports In University And Research Libraries - Walter A. Kee
- The State Of The Rare Book Market Today - John Parker
- United States Government Publications - Carper W. Buckley
The Relationships Of The Acquisition Department To The Library's Total Program - Rolland E. Stevens
The Proceedings of the Allerton Park Institute have been digitized through the Open Content Alliance at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
(Graduate School of Library Science. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign., 1963)The special problems and prospects of the selection and acquisition of foreign publications deal with no trivial portion of world publication. UNESCO's book production figures for 1960 assign less than five per cent of ...
(Graduate School of Library Science. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign., 1963)I suggest that a more fruitful approach to administrative planning is the use of an individual function, or group of related functions, as the unit of organization instead of a department with its traditional set of ...
(Graduate School of Library Science. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign., 1963)The tasks which the ordering agency of a library performs and the methods used in performing these tasks are determined by the functions and responsibilities assigned to that agency, the place of the agency in the ...
(Graduate School of Library Science. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign., 1963)I hope that no one will read a defensive tone into these remarks, for the rare book librarian is at first startled at the thought of bringing a discussion of the rare book trade into a symposium on "the practical operations ...
(Graduate School of Library Science. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign., 1963)In agreeing to discuss the selection, ordering, and handling of serials up to the point of cataloging or other forms of processing for use, I accepted an assignment to talk about the category of publications which has ...