Dept. of Zoology (1884-1973)


Courses have been taught in Zoology since 1868 under the Department of General Science and Literature; Department of Natural History (1868-69); College of Natural History, Zoological Department (1870); College of Natural Science, School of Natural History (1871-90); College of Science, School of Natural Science (1891-93); College of Science, Natural Science Group (1893-1900 ); College of Science, General Science Group (1900-01); College of Science, Department of Zoology (1901-13); and in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (1913-73). In 1884, the Department became a clearly defined course of study. The Department granted B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in Zoology and offered courses in genetics, parasitology, ecology, and physiology. In 1973, the Department of Zoology was divided into two provisional departments: the Department of Ecology,Ethology, and Evolution and the Department of Genetics and Development within the of Life Sciences. In March 17, 1976 the Board of Trustees approved the reorganized department.

From the University Archives

Browse Collections of Items

Recent AdditionsRSS feed

Community Statistics