Files in this item

FilesDescriptionFormat

application/pdf

application/pdf8302966.pdf (8MB)Restricted to U of Illinois
(no description provided)PDF

Description

Title:A Profile of Rehearsal Techniques and Interaction of Selected Band Conductors
Author(s):Pontious, Melvin Floyd
Department / Program:Music
Discipline:Music Education
Degree Granting Institution:University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Degree:Educat.D.
Genre:Dissertation
Subject(s):Education, Music
Abstract:The investigator made a descriptive study of the rehearsals of five high school band directors as an initial step in the development of a profile of the rehearsal behaviors of successful high school band conductors. Rehearsal components examined were the affective nature of the rehearsals, the elements of instrumental performance which concerned the conductors, and the techniques they used to resolve those concerns. Erbes' RIOS instrument was used to determine the affect of the rehearsals, and a time and frequency study of the conductors' verbal interaction was used to ascertain the conductors' concerns and rehearsal techniques.
The data revealed that the conductors were direct, or nonsupportive, in their verbal interaction over 78 percent of the time. They devoted more than 50 percent of the time and references concerning the elements of instrumental performance to phrasing/dynamics and rhythm. Conductor talk occupied 42 percent of the active rehearsal time, with the remaining 58 percent expended on rehearsal trials. More than half of the rehearsal trials included the full ensemble and were concerned with less than a phrase. Verbal explanation was the explicative technique most often used. The conductors all employed a synthesis-analysis-synthesis rehearsal pattern. The investigator recommended additional descriptive studies of wider dimensions as well as correlational studies in order to provide teacher training standards and predictors of conductor success.
Issue Date:1982
Type:Text
Description:273 p.
Thesis (Educat.D.)--University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1982.
URI:http://hdl.handle.net/2142/70817
Other Identifier(s):(UMI)AAI8302966
Date Available in IDEALS:2014-12-16
Date Deposited:1982


This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Item Statistics