Files in this item

FilesDescriptionFormat

application/pdf

application/pdf3023244.pdf (12MB)Restricted to U of Illinois
(no description provided)PDF

Description

Title:Assessing the Effectiveness of Reducing Seismic Vulnerability by a Program of Bridge Pier Wrapping
Author(s):Zhong, Qun
Doctoral Committee Chair(s):Hawkins, Neil M.
Department / Program:Civil Engineering
Discipline:Civil Engineering
Degree Granting Institution:University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Degree:Ph.D.
Genre:Dissertation
Subject(s):Engineering, Civil
Abstract:The research shows that: (a) The Southern Illinois bridge inventory reported here is reasonably representative of the bridge inventory in the New Madrid Seismic Zone as a whole and has characteristics that differ markedly from those for inventories of bridges in California seismic zones; (b) There is likely to be significant damage to multi-column bents of bridges on primary emergency routes if an earthquake of 2% probability in 50 years strikes the New Madrid area; (c) Damage will include lap splice failure of columns, beam or column shear failure, rocker bearing failure, excessive ground displacement, and significant superstructure misalignment; (d) A program of bridge pier wrapping can significantly reduce bridge functionality losses and allow continuous uninterrupted traffic flow on over approximately 80% of the existing bridges. The damage likely to the remaining 20% requires mitigation actions additional to column wrapping and bearing retrofit.
Issue Date:2001
Type:Text
Language:English
Description:297 p.
Thesis (Ph.D.)--University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2001.
URI:http://hdl.handle.net/2142/83170
Other Identifier(s):(MiAaPQ)AAI3023244
Date Available in IDEALS:2015-09-25
Date Deposited:2001


This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Item Statistics