Files in this item

FilesDescriptionFormat

application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document

application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.documentA Silent Witnes ... niversity of Illinois.docx (18MB)
(no description provided)Microsoft Word 2007

Description

Title:A Silent Witness To The Growth Of The University of Illinois
Author(s):Getz, Lowell L.
Subject(s):University of Illinois
Illinois Industrial University
History
Abstract:A brief history of the development of the University of Illinois from it beginnings as a very small local college to a large world class University. At the beginning, March 2, 1868, it was the Illinois Industrial University, with one building, two faculty members and 77 men students, who had available to them nine courses. There are now (2016) 647 buildings, 2,650 faculty and 44,000 students (44% women), who can select from over 6,970 courses. The “narrator” of the story is a sycamore tree, a “silent observer” who was already a small tree when the University located in Urbana Champaign in 1868. It describes: the beginning local and origin of the University, followed by addition of buildings and changes in the grounds up to the present; development of the athletic programs, primarily football and basketball; changes in student composition, activities, customs, and attire over the years.
Issue Date:2016-08-15
Genre:Essay
Type:Text
URI:http://hdl.handle.net/2142/91033
Rights Information:Text Copyright by Lowell L. Getz. All Rights Reserved
Date Available in IDEALS:2016-08-15


This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Item Statistics