Enhancement of the HWRIC Database -- 1986
Schock, Susan C.; Kilgore, Tamara J.; Stover, Mary E.; Rosenbaum, Paul B.; Benefield, Mickey; Mills, Evan P.
- Enhancement of the HWRIC Database -- 1986
- Schock, Susan C.
- Kilgore, Tamara J.
- Stover, Mary E.
- Rosenbaum, Paul B.
- Benefield, Mickey
- Mills, Evan P.
- Issue Date
- Hazardous wastes -- Illinois
- Information storage and retrieval systems -- Environmental protection -- Illinois
- Information storage and retrieval systems -- Water quality
- Illinois. Hazardous Waste Research and Information Center -- Data processing
- In this project, the HWRIC database of information pertaining to sites which are potential sources of pollution by hazardous wastes was improved by the review of the data and through the collection of the dates of known operation of industrial sites. Possible sources of contamination in DeKalb, DuPage, Grundy, Kane, Kankakee, Kendall, Lake, McHenry and Will counties were identified. The sites were selected if they were associated with one of the selected Standard Industrial Classification codes that are considered to be indicative of the production, use, or disposal of hazardous wastes. Sites at which there are no current activities, but which supported activities in the past fifty years, were included as they were identified. Such information is especially valuable since it often predates regulatory record keeping. The sites now included in the nine counties reviewed from the original database were derived by screening a list of companies associated with the above mentioned SIC codes on a case by case basis. The screening eliminated strictly administrative sites, such as headquarters, that would not be expected to be sources of contamination. As a result of this project the HWRIC database now contains more comprehensive information on potential contamination sites in the nine counties. The information covers sites beyond those regulated by state or federal government. A method for conversion of address records to mappable coordinates also was developed. Further suggestions as to how this method can be improved were made.
- Champaign, IL : Illinois Hazardous Waste Research and Information Center
- Series/Report Name or Number
- Hazardous Waste Research and Information Center Research Report Series; RR-012
- Type of Resource
- Sponsor(s)/Grant Number(s)
- Contract 1-5-39018 STILENR-HW86005-018
Edit Collection Membership