The Effects of Feedback and Habit on Content Posting in an Online Community
Wohn, Donghee Yvette
- The Effects of Feedback and Habit on Content Posting in an Online Community
- Wohn, Donghee Yvette
- Issue Date
- quantitative analyses including statistics
- online communities
- This study examined the relationship between feedback and content posting behavior in the social media system Everything2. Analyses paired survey data with behavioral data of user activity obtained from server logs. Results showed that both positive and negative feedback from other users was associated with more posting behavior. Habit strength moderated the effect of positive feedback such that those with higher habit were less affected by the feedback than those with lower habit. Habit, however, did not moderate the effect of negative feedback. Results suggest that systems that facilitate positive feedback mechanisms may encourage initial participation but may become less effective for users who have developed a habit.
- Series/Report Name or Number
- iConference 2015 Proceedings
- Type of Resource
- Copyright and License Information
- Copyright 2015 is held by the authors. Copyright permissions, when appropriate, must be obtained directly from the authors.
iConference 2015 Papers PRIMARY
Edit Collection Membership