The Kashmir Earthquake of October 8, 2005: A Quick Look Report
Durrani, Ahmad J.; Elnashai, Amr S.; Hashash, Youssef M.A.; Kim, Sung Jig; Masud, Arif
- The Kashmir Earthquake of October 8, 2005: A Quick Look Report
- Durrani, Ahmad J.
- Elnashai, Amr S.
- Hashash, Youssef M.A.
- Kim, Sung Jig
- Masud, Arif
- Issue Date
- MAE Center
- The Mid-America Earthquake Center and Rice University with assistance from the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan, and several other organizations, dispatched an earthquake field reconnaissance team to assess the damage, collect data, and derive lessons from the damaging earthquake. Two main objectives were considered in the assembly and dispatch of the field reconnaissance team. These are: (i) gain a first hand experience of the impact of the earthquake and lessons to be learned pertinent to consequence-based earthquake risk management, and (ii) explore and identify avenues of collaboration for long-term earthquake preparedness encompassing research, education, and design code development. This Quicklook report presents first hand observations, summarizes data collected from various sources in Pakistan and includes early analysis of the available strong-motion records. It provides a brief background on the seismo-tectonic setting of the region, offers preliminary observations on damage to the built infrastructure, reviews socio-economic consequences of the earthquake, and outlines early thoughts on reconstruction priorities and long-term disaster planning. It is stressed that the statistics quoted in the report are preliminary and not universally accepted.
- Mid-America Earthquake Center
- Series/Report Name or Number
- MAE Center CD Release 05-04
- Type of Resource
- Sponsor(s)/Grant Number(s)
- National Science Foundation EEC-9701785
Edit Collection Membership