Seismic Retrofitting of Steel and Composite Building Structures
DiSarno, Luigi; Elnashai, Amr S.
- Seismic Retrofitting of Steel and Composite Building Structures
- DiSarno, Luigi
- Elnashai, Amr S.
- Agans, Helen
- Issue Date
- Mid-America Earthquake (MAE) Center
- This report provides criteria to evaluate the performance of existing buildings with steel and composite structures, either framed or braced. It also presents a comprehensive review of rehabilitation strategies to retrofit structural members and connections (local intervention) and/or frames (global intervention). The evaluation criteria and upgrade schemes have been derived from extensive experimental and numerical tests carried out in Europe, Japan and the US in the aftermath of recent earthquakes. They are intended to enhance the strength, stiffness and energy dissipation of existing framed buildings during future earthquakes. Indeed, it is expected that retrofitted buildings exhibit: (i) no damage during low-intensity earthquakes, (ii) some nonstructural damage during moderate earthquakes and (iii) structural and nonstructural damage during major events but the global collapse is prevented.
- Series/Report Name or Number
- Mid-America Earthquake Center CD Release 02-01
- Type of Resource
- Sponsor(s)/Grant Number(s)
- National Science Foundation EEC-9701785
Edit Collection Membership